Sunday, December 1, 2013

Toronto Residence Inn-Ants are Okay but your paying pet is a nuisance

We have been staying at Residence Inns' for years, it is the only Marriott that takes pets.  As a pet owner that travels with their pet you learn that getting nice accommodations with a pet is increasingly more difficult. One also does sympathize with hoteliers that all pets and pet owners are not well mannered and respectful of the property and other guests.  I do not have a solution to that and understand that simply me saying that my little dog is the most docile, quiet and obedient dog that I have ever seen little less having the privilege of being her human has probably been heard before by the front desk and proven untrue.

Now of course is the HOWEVER, if you say you accept pets, and you charge $100 regardless of how long they stay they shouldn't be relegated to the floor and perhaps the room known to have an infestation of ants.
We should have said something when we went into the room and there were no less than 5 ant traps.  We mused that since it is December and very cold someone had just not picked them up.  Well of course you feed your pet in a bowl that you put on the floor.

I prepared her dish from freshly opened packages that I had brought with me placed her dish on the floor.  In her typical Princess fashion she did not immediately wolf it down (it's hard for a Shih Tzu to wolf), in probably 5 to 10 minutes I went to check to see how she was doing with eating in a new place...to my horror she had eaten about half of the food and was sitting in front of her bowl shaking her little fuzzy head vigorously, hmmm, I looked in her bowl and there was about 100 ants!  I should have taken a picture, but my immediate reaction was to make sure she was okay.

I grabbed the bowl wrapped it in a plastic bag then started an in depth examination of Miss Ambassadorable.  I gave her a thorough exam, washed her face, chest, paws, gave her a prescription ear wash that we carry for her because of allergies.  When she seemed calmer I took the bowl to the front desk.  The front desk manager was seemingly as horrified as I was and did in about a half an hour switch us to an upper floor.  We were told that we could not have an upper floor when we checked in because we had a dog, dogs had to be on the first floor.

In fairness to the Inn, they did move us and comp'd our last night, they provided a name of a vet in case we needed to take the fuzzy one for an exam.  Think how delighted I was after months of planning for our long trek to Europe with a pet, that we might miss a plane because the hotel had such infestation that my precious little one got too sick to fly...little less be imported to Europe.  I was shaking down to my core.

She seems to be fine no more head shaking, she is adorable and cute and fluffy and in about 3 hours we are on a flight to Paris.  Thank you front desk hotel clerk from righting the best you could a stunning hotel experience, but I am done with Residence Inn by Marriott.  Pets are not welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment